Tuesday, September 11, 2007

George

My faithful dog, my wonderful little buddy, George passed away Sunday afternoon.

I would like to remember the day I adopted him from the County Kennel. That was the first time I saw him, about 3 months old, small, mostly black with brown feet. I never knew what breed he was, although he had characteristics of a Border Terrier, and ears like a Beagle.


He has been my companion since Feb. 22, 1994. Yes, his name was eponymous.

I remember as a growing young dog, how easily he could catch a tennis ball on the fly.

I remember taking him for walks up and down the drive.

Around the house you cannot imagine a more gentle dog. At his heaviest he was about 30 pounds.

He liked to go for rides. After Chris died in 1998, his was the passenger seat in the Plymouth. He came to Catechism with me. Occasionally he went with me to visit shut-ins, especially the ones who gave him pizza.

He reached maturity. He was always an even-tempered dog. He responded to the "r word," especially the question, "Is there a rabbit?"

Occasionally he had to let me know that there was a deer in the yard at 3:00 AM.

He remained very graceful through his declining years. I remember getting "senior" dog food, some extra trips to the vet, and eventually a canine cardiologist. The last year of his life he was getting nine pills a day.

He went peacefully at home. He knew I was nearby. He lay down in the living room and did not get up. I often referred to him as "my little trooper."

George was almost 14 years old when he slipped away. I like to think of him as romping through a celestial meadow.

3 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

We'll miss George very much on Wednesdays. :(

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Marie N. said...

You sure knew how to pick a pup. And no doubt he is catching tennis balls or chasing butterflies again.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger God's Great Mercy said...

Sin brought death into the world and that includes the death of animals i imagine so i do believe that all the good things we have loved in this life will be present in Heaven, but if not then not to worry because nothing will compare to having Jesus. So don't worry about losing any good thing or person in this life. Jesus has said that our sins will be erased from our memory in Heaven but i don't believe He will erase the Good gifts he gave us.
Padraic
Website if you are interested
http://www.threeinonegod.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home