Monday, February 05, 2007

Sixty-four

The birth date that I share with Felix Mendelssohn and Horace Greeley was my 64th. There is so much to look back and behold. I can remember the house on Franklin Ave. in New Orleans where we lived with my grandparents from 1945 to 1956. The last time I saw that house was in late spring of last year. The trees in front were gone, and it had been painted pink. I did not see the house I lived in after 1956, out on Prentiss Ave. in Gentilly. I wonder if it's still there. But there was no reason to go that way. The last time I visited Valpo, many of the buildings that used to be West Campus were gone. That was the heart of campus activity in the early 60s. Passenger trains used to stop in that little town, at least the locals. I am now the senior member of my family. Sooner or later that had to come about. The seminary has also changed. There is a large chapel, and the wilderness which occupied the western third of the campus has been tamed. I have been pastor at Christ Church for 28 years now. I was circuit counselor for twelve of those years. And we maintain our traditional worship. That, at least, I consider an accomplishment.

4 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger KrazyinBrooklyn said...

Happy Birthday

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Happy Birthday, Pastor! You are to us an example that God is merciful and loves us.

Thank you! Hope your celebration with family was great.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Babette said...

You have vivid memories of a life well-lived. Keeping the traditional worship is an accomplishment, indeed!

Mendelssohn is a fine composer and his edifying life is a joy to teach to my young Music History scholars. The Dresden Amen in the first movement of his Reformation Symphony is one of the most exquisite moments in orchestral writing. And, he was a Lutheran, who also gets the credit for a renewed interest in another great Lutheran composer-Bach.

When is the anniversary of your baptism?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Pastor Gross - did you every know someone from the Valpo community named John Kunstmann? He was a friend of my parents'.

Wishing you many more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home